Friday, January 07, 2011

Comfort Books

So you know how people have comfort foods? Ice cream, cheetos, popcorn... Well I have comfort books.

I remember when I was younger, I used to get so upset at my little brother. Ty, Ty. He was perfectly adorable, and a perfectly ordinary younger brother. Meaning we were always fighting. I remember that after I got mad at him, I'd storm into my room, scribble some angry sentences in my journal, and read a book. It always soothed me. It still does.

When I'm stressed about life, I read about someone else's for awhile and forget about my own. When I feel life seems dull, I read about one that isn't. (though, life is never dull.)

My comfort books are as follows:

Harry Potter series, by J.K. Rowling: I grew up on these books. The characters are old friends of mine, their stories sweet, familiar pathways I've wandered down many times. Imagine an old lane that you walked down throughout the entirety of your childhood, from the time you were 10 to 18. Nothing bad ever happened on that lane, only good. Better than good; you felt elated with contentment every time you walked it. Now, if you had the chance to teleport there when you got stressed, wouldn't you? Luckily for me, teleportation isn't necessary, for all of that is in a book, rather than a hometown lane. Not to say I wouldn't enjoy teleporting.

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott: This book, I could read it over and over. I love the stories, I love the writing, I love the characters, and I love what I learn. This book reminds me what is important in life. I don't need all I think I need and don't need to be all I think I need to be. And that is a great comfort. Not to mention that I get lost in the pages, in their lives, within seconds.
I read it every Christmas.

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine: I think every preteen girl needs to read this book. When I get frustrated with my love life (aka lack of), this is the book I pick up. I LOVED it when I was younger. Such a sweet little romance

So next time you are stressed, sad, or lonely, pick up a book. I promise it will pick you up faster than anything else.

No comments: