Wednesday, September 08, 2010

The Healer

I am studying to become a Physician Assistant or a Nurse Practitioner. There are a multitude of reasons, the main two being that I LOVE studying the body and that I want to help people. I am convinced that every person, every vocation, helps people. In different ways. But with this job, every day I leave work, I will not doubt that everyone who entered my office left better than they came.

I was reading for my New Testament class and there was a short snippet on a few of the disciples. It was talking about Luke, author of Luke and Acts. It said he was a physician and wrote with sensitivity. In this modern world, there are some negative stereotypes of doctors, stereotypes that typecast them as men who only care about money and position. Well I think the healer was born with a natural desire to help others and make them happy. And that Luke's sensitivity was the probable characteristic that urged him to enter the field of medicine--to help others.

I am excited to help people when they can't help themselves. To restore a body to its peak. To analyze and diagnose. To answer questions and discuss. To prevent disease, illness, or injury. To heal.

No comments: